The music publishing company Dr J. Butz was founded in 1924 in Bonn-Bad Godesberg by Dr Josef Butz, who was working as a composer, organist, musicologist and teacher. During the 1930s the company and its founder initially enjoyed great success, and even received several composing and radio broadcast awards. However, when Dr Butz refused to become a member of the ruling National Socialist party and have his publishing company toe the artistic line dictated by the Nazi rulers, he was totally boycotted by the regime. Despite this, his specialised assortment of music and his coherent concept enabled him to survive those difficult years.
After the war, the company concentrated more and more on publishing organ editions in addition to choral music. In 1984, after the business relocated to St. Augustin near Bonn, Dr Butz's son, also called Josef, took over the management. Since then, the areas of masses for choir and orchestra, larger choir works, and Romantic organ music have seen particular expansion. Josef Butz, jr. died in 1999 – the 75th year of the company's existence. He was succeeded by Hans-Peter Bähr in 2000. In 2008 the company headquarters moved from St. Augustin to Bonn-Beuel. In 2010 the new section "Children’s Choir" was launched.